Roger Deakins

Posted on by

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 561 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • in reply to: Mr Deakins: Regarding 2049 Spinner Flyover (Vegas) #221568
    Roger Deakins
    Keymaster

      I have no recollection of a longer cut. Jesse James for sure but not Blade Runner 2049.

      in reply to: I Wonder How 1917 Would Have Felt If: #221567
      Roger Deakins
      Keymaster

        Never considered 1917 as if a POV. A like The Lady in the Lake but ……

        in reply to: Rule of thirds and similar fixed compositions #221566
        Roger Deakins
        Keymaster

          Even the great James Wong Howe found himself guilty of creating images for their own sake, or simply to show off his technique, rather that follow what the story required.

          in reply to: URSA Cine 17K on major features: viability? #221565
          Roger Deakins
          Keymaster

            I hope someone other than me can come up with a reply. I have no experience of that camera at all.

            in reply to: Jerry Lundegaard office #221564
            Roger Deakins
            Keymaster

              There were windows on the location so I probably added some muslin on a wall and bounced a Joker off that. I would have also used a solid to control the daylight from outside the window, but all quite simple.

              in reply to: Which version do you usually choose? Original or restored? #221463
              Roger Deakins
              Keymaster

                I agree. There is a balance between restoration and “invention”. I try to get as close to the original intent of a film as possible. That does not include manipulating the color or the grain, other than when a sub standard optical can be refined to be less of a distraction. I don’t see that removing scratches, hairs in the gate, etc. is altering the original look of a film although it actually is!

                in reply to: Saturation vs Gamut #221411
                Roger Deakins
                Keymaster

                  Wow! That’s more than I need to know.

                  in reply to: Visualising Shots #221410
                  Roger Deakins
                  Keymaster

                    I visualize the lighting of a scene and am usually disappointed by the way I can transfer what is in my head to the screen. The composition of a shot and the movement of the camera within a scene comes less fully formed and is usually found in collaboration with the director and the actors. That is true even when you make storyboards with the director. The shot fully-forms only when the camera starts rolling. Even then, take two can be better!

                    in reply to: Rule of thirds and similar fixed compositions #221409
                    Roger Deakins
                    Keymaster

                      Instinct! I think this topic has been discussed many times before. Usually, there is little time to consider the ‘mathematic’ proportions of a composition – even if you are that way inclined. I am not. I do not like rules.

                      in reply to: Movies to watch if wanting to improve at stills #221408
                      Roger Deakins
                      Keymaster

                        We watched Hud again the other day. The film’s compositions are worth taking a look at – though its hard not to become immersed in the story. Asphalt Jungle is another film I might recommend for its compositions – amongst many other thangs. Ida is more adventurous without being distracting. In Cold Blood is perfection.

                         

                        in reply to: Question about Camera Consciousness in Cinematography #221405
                        Roger Deakins
                        Keymaster

                          Yes, NCFOM was more restrained in its camera style. Almost always observing the action rather than enhancing or making a comment on it. 1917 was a very particular style of film. I’m not sure I would agree that the camera had a ‘consciousness of its own’, that might be said of Barton Fink but not of 1917. That said, I would say that the camera expresses more than what is on the page in all three films.

                          Roger Deakins
                          Keymaster

                            The 120D is a small lamp and, I’m sure, has its limitations when trying to create a beam of sunlight. So, I don’t think you need my advice! Looks pretty good. Personally, I am not a fan of using atmosphere unless it is for a very specific purpose. I used none at all on Skyfall.

                            in reply to: Blue color moon light vs peocock color moon light #221129
                            Roger Deakins
                            Keymaster

                              Nightmare Alley is a good example. Whether you like it or not the peacock blue was consistent with the overall style of the film. In the very early days of color, especially those using the Technicolor process, night scenes were often a very saturated blue.

                              in reply to: Best Technique for ‘Slash of Light’ Across Face? #221127
                              Roger Deakins
                              Keymaster

                                In the case of Skyfall I added a light Hampshire frost to the opening that I was using as the cut. I felt a very sharp shadow was unnatural so I softened it a little. I could have brought the lamp closer to the cut but then teh light beam would have been less parallel.

                                in reply to: Day Exterior Metering on Film #221088
                                Roger Deakins
                                Keymaster

                                  I would agree with David’s thoughts on exposure. For NCFOM in particular I exposed a front lit subject by more than a 1/2-stop, probably double that (although the posted frames don’t seem to reflect that). And I would allow a backlit subject to be some 2-stops under. But this can only be a generalization. Is a subject lit by an intense side light or are they far from a source? And how do you want the overall feeling of the imagery? For NCFOM we were trying to depict a harsh, almost bleached looking, landscape. On another film, The Assassination of Jesse James is one example, I might set exposures closer to the actual reading on my meter. Exposure, like any other part of the process, is a personal choice.

                                Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 561 total)