Sony picture profiles (cine, s-log, hlg) and noise

Posted on by

Home Forums Camera Sony picture profiles (cine, s-log, hlg) and noise

• Creator
    Topic
    LucaM
    Participant

If any of you is a Sony user or anyway has some knowledge about its picture profiles, i’d need some advice! I searched a lot on the web and i’ve found very confusing informations. I know it’s a niche subject but given the number of videos i found about it i’d say it’s a very common problem , i hope of general interest for forum readers…

What i’m struggling to understand, even after a lot of internet research and personal tests, is which profile setting would help me in reducing the noise with poor lights.  From what i’ve read s-log profiles should be avoided in these scenes, requiring a lot of lights, but from my simple tests with my Sony 6400  i found no great difference noise-wise between cine, hlg and slog : with same exposure and lights they seem to produce the same amount of noise.

Even if i am  a beginner i liked so far the result of color correction i obtained with all the profiles , but the noise is still a problem and before resorting to more lights and ND filters (or noise reduction softwares) i am looking for a better way to use the camera.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JoeWilsonsWar
      Participant

I shoot mostly on Sony and there are a lot of variables here, but the noise is introduced the farther you go from the sensors native ISO.  Your picture profiles won’t come into play that much here. I’m not sure how the a6400 handles s-log but you usually need a bit more light when shooting in that format, which is why they advise against it in lower lighting conditions. This isn’y always the case, but it really depends on the sensor and if it’s true log or not.

The short answer is that if you want the least amount of noise possible you’re going to need decent light. Find out what the native ISO is for your camera and try to shoot as close to that as possible. There shouldn’t be any additional noise though from a profile.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.