Sicario and No Country: Setting and Establishing Shots

Posted on by

Home Forums Set Talk Sicario and No Country: Setting and Establishing Shots

• Creator
    Topic
    Francis S25
    Participant

Dear Roger and everyone else in this forums section,

My name is Francis and I’m currently writing my BA undergrad dissertation on Borderland film and TV. Two of my primary film sources for the project are No Country for Old Men and Sicario. I loved watching your recent GQ interview and am glad to discover your website.

I’m fascinated by the choices of location in these films and your approach to establishing shots. I know that you love shooting broad, barren and open vistas and wanted to ask you some brief, specific questions on your use of establishing shots and locations.

1. How and why did you pay attention to fences and walls, particularly in relation to characters?

2. Why are establishing shots in Sicario shot more aerially and dynamically than those in No Country?

3. Finally- how have you approached shooting the ‘urban’ as opposed to the desert? (Why motels, caravan parks, bus stations, housing estates etc.?)

If you could respond- no matter how briefly or even if you would like to focus on one specific question- it would be greatly appreciated. Anyone else roaming these forums can feel free to chime in too.

Many thanks for your amazing contributions to this weird and wonderful world of cinema,

-Francis

Four of my favourite shots below for reference:

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.