Prime Vs Zooms

Posted on by

Home Forums Camera Prime Vs Zooms

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    MitchSteedman
    Participant

Hello all! I’ve been looking into investing in some lenses for weddings, short films, & documentaries. I’ve been bouncing back & forth between purchasing some inexpensive cinema primes or middle-of-the-road zoom lenses. As a young cinematographer, I’m curious about what more experienced vets of the field have to say on this topic.

Do zooms

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MitchSteedman
      Participant

Whoops! Accidentally sent this out too early.

I meant to finish with: Do zooms give better future-proofing compared to cinema lenses due to their wide focal flexibility?

Thanks!

Al Duffield
        Participant

Zooms buy you speed (shooting not aperture) at the expense of size, weight and image “quality”.

I don’t have any experience shooting weddings, but in documentary I have rarely has time to change lenses while the action is happening.

in narrative work, assuming you have assistants then changing lenses is less burdensome and there are regular and predictable breaks when lenses can be changed without holding anything up.

so I’m my mind it’s impractical to shoot weddings and documentary on primes, given that’s 2/3 of your listed work I see no logical choose other than to get both 😂.

Matt Stahley
          Participant

I agree with Al. Zooms all the way for doc work unless you are just shooting talking head interviews and some b roll you could get away with primes but if you are running and gunning nothing more convenient than a nice zoom that’s wide to medium tele.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.