Master anamorphics

Posted on by

Home Forums Camera Master anamorphics

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Davinki
    Participant

Hello, I had some some questions about your thoughts within anamorphic questions. 1, have you tried the Arri/Zeiss master anamorphic lenses and if so, what are your thoughts on them? Given they seem to solve a lot of your gripes on anamorphic lenses like breathing, illumination across the field causing vignetting, and flare from what I’ve seen from them, I figured they’d be your first choice if you had to shoot anamorphic but hey, I don’t know.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Kemalettin
      Participant

Also, i wanna add this question i just didn’t want to open a new thread.
        Have you ever used Panavision glass spherical or anamorphic?

Davinki
        Participant

Also, i wanna add this question i just didn’t want to open a new thread. Have you ever used Panavision glass spherical or anamorphic?

I’m not sure if he considered panavision anamorphic as they have the flaws that make him shoot spherical in the first place, but I do wonder if he’s shot on the primos.

Davinki
          Participant

So Roger, have you tried the master anamorphic lenses?

Roger Deakins
            Keymaster

I am not a fan of anamorphic. I have shot tests in the past but not with the Master anamorphic lenses.

Davinki
              Participant

Oh, I thought that since the master anamorphics seemed to have solved every issue you have with anamorphic lenses that they would be your first choice but I guess not

dmullenasc
                Participant

At least with 4-perf 35mm film, there was the advantage that anamorphic had over Super 35 cropped to 2.39 — the larger negative area used, resulting in a finer-grained image.

With digital, that advantage doesn’t really exist — with 2X anamorphic you aren’t using more of the sensor for 2.39 since most sensors are at least 1.5 : 1 in shape, plus there isn’t grain in digital anyway.

So that pretty much leaves using anamorphic in digital for the anamorphic artifacts, the squeezed bokeh, the soft edges, the flares… if you minimize or elimate all of that then what are you really getting out of anamorphic?

dmullenasc
                  Participant

I would have corrected the word “eliminate” in my reply if the edit function had worked…

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.