Lighting an overhead shot like this

Posted on by

Home Forums Lighting Lighting an overhead shot like this

• Creator
    Topic
    tywiththewifi
    Participant

Hi Roger,

I’m pretty novice here at all things cinematography/lighting and am trying to recreate this shot.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cu_e81rI81l/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I know from another post that it’s an iPhone taped to the ceiling and green screen on the ground. I’m just wondering what type of light is needed. It looks like it’s right overhead where the camera is and is facing straight down. If the phone is taped to the ceiling, should I look for a soft light box with a super high stand and put it up against the ceiling next to the phone? Sorry in advance if these are dumb questions, I know next to nothing about lighting. Trying to make something to promote my music 🙂

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Tyler F
      Participant

I would think they did this with lights that were already built into the room. Imagine walking into an office with overhead ceiling lights and just putting a camera up—Similar approach.

Bigger light + closer it is to object, the softer it will be. You could also pepper many lights into the space effectively making “one” larger source, but you’ll have to be careful of multiple shadows.

Samuel M
        Participant

Going from what Tyler said, the approach is great and absolutely a softer source can really wrap the subject well.

Talking about the reference you sent from Instagram, it looks like there are two main floor lights in this shot from the bottom of the screen, coming from a height that is slightly above the height of the talent – you notice that from the direction of the shadows on the equipment that overlaps. What i would also recommend from experience is to use small LEDs placed under the musical equipment (hidden away of course), as you might like te separation it creates from the floor once you bring it in post, it could also help with harsh shadows.

tywiththewifi
          Participant

Thanks so much for the insight guys! Gonna try a few things and see how it goes

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.