Was No Country For Old Men initially intended to be 16:9?

Posted on by

Home Forums Composition Was No Country For Old Men initially intended to be 16:9?

• Creator
    Topic
    umbrella
    Participant

I noticed recently that the original trailers for the film are an “open gate” 16:9 — ie. not pan and scanned, but actually show more image than the final film.

Example.

Was this simply some sort of weird studio decision to conform to internet standards (YouTube only supporting 16:9, it being more common screen size, etc.)?

Or was the film designed for 16:9 or 1.85:1 and the decision to crop to 2.39:1 an after-thought?

Thank you.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Roger Deakins
      Keymaster

The film was designed and shot to be seen at 2.39:1, full stop. What is done on YouTube is what is done on YouTube.

dmullenasc
        Participant

35mm trailers were prepared in both 1.85 “flat” and 2.39 “scope” to match the feature presentation so that the projectionist would not have to change lenses and masks.

So clearly in this case the studio marketing division had access to an “open gate” D.I. master to make the 1.85 trailer (and any 16×9 unletterboxed versions needed.) of course, they should have made a 1.85 flat trailer with a 2.39 matte.

James Parsons
          Participant

2007 YouTube would not have been a major marketing platform yet. Not even 720p for another two years.

umbrella
            Participant

Ah thanks for the answer. Thought maybe I’d stumbled upon a little piece of trivia. Alas!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.