The rise of A.I.

Posted on by

Home Forums Set Talk The rise of A.I.

• Creator
    Topic
    sydneydan
    Participant

Hey guys,

a few ago I never thought this would be possible, but A.I is getting increasingly good at creating Videos.

I believe this will have a major impact on film production, eventually leading to a full stop of film production at one point.

What is your opinion on that and when do you think it will happen?

Best,
      Daniel

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      LucaM
      Participant

I know the comics and illustration world and this is happening yet: people are losing jobs because of this abomination of AI, besides the huge copyright problem of the softwares (their “training” database are full of copyrighted images used without permission). Surely it will impact the cinema world too, but i see a big difference : while it’s almost virtual impossible to say if an image is AI created or not (or, better, you can say that, but it’s getting better every day and soon it will be impossible), it’s impossible to claim to have shot a movie if all the actors and crew are…not existing. I think that AI will be used for commercials and maybe for some vfx shots. Maybe for low budget production and short movies.

But my very humble opinion is this one : i’m making my very first steps in cinematography and i’m trying to learn something new every day. It’s difficult, complicated, hard and so on, but it’s the right way to learn. If an AI could create for me my short movie in a couple of minute i would not use it as well. It would take the creative pleasure away , for me.

Stip
        Participant

I believe that even though with tools like “Sora” it will still take time until consistency and precision are good enough for longer formats.

Once they are, I think that:

1. If everyone can make a movie from home, stories will become even more important than today. A good thing.

2. Live-action content will never go away. The more artificial content we’re thrown at, the bigger our longing for ‘real’ will become.

gabj3
          Participant

Nothing will ever replace the human mind’s complete and utterly sporadic and unpredictable nature.

I’m an engineer; I use AI and am not scared of it replacing us.

What makes a film production so great is its collaboration of many minds and many people and its unique, unpredictable nature.

What it replaces is people who shoot pretty pictures.

Infinityvision.tv

ThisGuy321
            Participant

AI will certainly wreak havoc in certain industries just as every major innovation throughout history has done. But humans will also continue do what humans have always done — adjust and adapt to those changes. The ones who will suffer the most will be the purists or the ones unwilling to adapt. So while we should be concerned about the unknowns of AI’s potential, I think society will be fine in the end.

Having said that, after feeling the initial shock of each innovation in AI capabilities, I find that as time goes on, AI’s regurgitated generative “art” becomes more recognizable and less impressive. I think that we’re initially afraid of it because our minds haven’t adjust to it yet. But just over the past year alone, society quickly and naturally learned to spot AI generated images. Teachers can now naturally tell (without the help of AI detectors) whether a student used Chat GPT to write a paper.

The human mind is pretty darn good at recognizing when something isn’t quite right. So while AI will create problems in the film industry, I just don’t see it completely replacing human filmmakers.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.