For a beginner, what is best to learn?

Posted on by

Home Forums Camera For a beginner, what is best to learn?

• Creator
    Topic
    lewisfernandez
    Participant

Which concepts did you study about cinematography that provided you with the most ROI?

Thanks in adv.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      quijotesco24
      Participant

To study movies.

lewisfernandez
        Participant

True!

Al Duffield
          Participant

Just go out and shoot, then rewatch what you shot, cut it all together.

You’ll learn more through shooting and trying to use what you’ve shot than you will from anywhere else in my opinion.

dmullenasc
            Participant

It often comes down to Theory and Practice. You read, you watch movies, you shoot, and repeat over and over again.

Activity and Reflectivity are key as well, you need time to digest what you’ve learned.  Vittorio Storaro once said that after his first feature, he couldn’t find work and spent two years visiting museums and studying art. At first he thought of those two years as lost time, wasted time, but later he realized that these were the most important years of his professional life because they gave him the foundation for the rest of his career.

The Byre
              Participant

If I edit and colour-correct what I shoot then all my mistakes become painfully obvious to me!

Rinse, repeat!

lewisfernandez
                Participant

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond.

Stip
                  Participant

Agree with David – (endless) activity and reflectivity. I don’t think there’s a “most ROI”.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.