Zoom in vs dolly pushing

Posted on by

Home Forums Camera Zoom in vs dolly pushing

• Creator
    Topic
    rama lingam
    Participant

Dear master Roger zoom in technique will bring out the emotions. I have heard John seals interviews. He talks about zoo in technique will bring the emotions. What’s really difference between zoom in vs dolly pushing except perspective changes

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      The Byre
      Participant

A dolly-push just works better.  It draws the viewer’s attention to the face or whatever it is that you are pushing towards.

quijotesco24
        Participant

Without entering to stylistic and fashions trends, to me the difference between a dolly push in or a zoom in is on the dolly you take the audience and bring it closer to the character you are pushing in and with the zoom in you are isolating the character from his surroundings.
          But push ins have been used for isolate characters too and zoom ins to give us closeness to the character we zoom in.
          There is no proper or a single way to tell something. That’s what is great about what we do!

Roger Deakins
          Keymaster

That’s right. There is no right way.

The effect of a zoom could be likened to you focussing your attention on a part of your surroundings. As it involves seeing an object in more detail but from a greater distance, than if it were a dolly in, it does have a different feel but it is all about context.

ThisGuy321
            Participant

Granted, it all depends on the motivation and purpose for doing it, but for me, dolly pushes tend to feel more natural than zooms. I think because so much within an image is altered in some way during a zoom as the focal length changes that zooms tend to feel a little more jarring. Maybe this is because it is a natural human instinct to move in closer when we want to see something more clearly. Afterall, unless we’re using a phone camera or something, we don’t stand in one place and zoom in with our naked eye. Also, I find that dolly pushes tend to be a little more forgiving in the shakes and bumps than zooms, but maybe that’s just me.

Having said that, there’s also the option of doing neither and just doing a digital zoom in post. haha!
              I’m sorry. I’ll see myself out. Please don’t ban me! lol

Stip
              Participant

I think zooms feel less natural because our eyes can’t zoom. We need to move physically closer towards objects for them to become larger, which is what the push in does.

dmullenasc
                Participant

Our minds can “zoom” in on some detail, like spotting a face in a crowd from a distance — flying in on a drone across a stadium to a face in a crowd wouldn’t really make sense for a POV of someone who can’t move in that direction.

Stip
                  Participant

That’s true but I’m not sure if that scenario qualifies for a zoom vs dolly push-in comparison 🙂

quijotesco24
                    Participant

I do like zoom ins. But I understand they are out of trend nowadays.
                      A zoom in it’s easier to perform than a dolly in. No waiting time for the track to be laid down and cheaper on production.
                      Agree with David. Our eyes can’t zoom in but our minds do. So in part both movements are natural to us.
                      We should all agree the dolly in has been abused to the limit to the point you see it perform when it doesn’t make much sense.

Stip
                      Participant

Our mind can zoom in but I still disagree that a lens zoom is ‘natural’ because that visual process does not happen in real life when our mind zooms in; the lens zoom is a creative effect to represent that process (one that can work very well). It comes down to how one defines ‘natural’. And more important, in the end it doesn’t matter if it serves the story and the audience isn’t pulled out of it.

Personally, I found zooms pull me out of the story much easier than dolly moves but they both have their place, and there they work.

rama lingam
                        Participant

Zoom in is very different from dolly in. It won’t give same feeling.

Roger Deakins
                          Keymaster

Interesting. But we do not cut images together as in a film, nor do we desaturate an image see in different lens lengths are able to float around in the sky and many other things that have become part of film language.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Roger Deakins.
                            Stip
                            Participant

Just curious, when was the last time you used a zoom-in?

Roger Deakins
                              Keymaster

Probably not since ‘The Village’. I thought the zooms in that film worked well. An interesting effect.

Stip
                                Participant

They did, thanks!

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.