Thoughts on a short film I made? (one minute)

Posted on by

Home Forums Composition Thoughts on a short film I made? (one minute)

• Creator
    Topic
    bardanmcguire
    Participant

Hello everybody!

I shot this film two weeks ago for Raidió Teilifís Éireann (RTÉ) which is the national broadcaster in Ireland (like the BBC in Ireland). This film is for the angelus which is a one minute call to prayer that runs twice a day on the radio and television at 12pm and 6pm every day.

I just want to know what anyone on this forum thinks of it and areas I can improve. In particular how I can improve my composition and lighting using natural light.

This film is being televised next week.

Vimeo Link: https://vimeo.com/916833254?share=copy

Thank you.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      simon m
      Participant

Bardan, I thought it was a lovely little film. You mention composition and lighting – I thought the compositions worked well. I think composition is another tool to tell the story you want to tell, so did those compositions tell the story how you wanted it to be felt by the audience? Only you would know that I think.
        I thought the lighting did look natural. I’m wondering what you thought needed improvement? I also liked your sound design – waves, footfalls on the rocks etc. Very good in my opinion. Well done. I look forward to your next one.

Stip
        Participant

I wouldn’t know what to improve in lighting, you seemed to use the sun at different times of day very well. It’s very natural, which I think is mandatory for this topic. Overall I personally pay more attention to mood, and this one has a fantastic mood. Also great pace and timing, deep colors and a natural sound mix. Great job!

bardanmcguire
          Participant

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement guys. Much appreciated. 🙂

Johannes Rauscher
            Participant

Well done! Only one thing that irritated me: The drone shot at 1:02 didn’t quite match the rest of the film in terms of colour. It was too contrasty and the sea was very saturated. Looks a bit like a cheap LUT 😉 Keep up the good work! I really liked the colours and the realism of the other shots.
              John

IgorVe
              Participant

I like the timing/tempo and mood

Baudelaire
                Participant

lovely

bardanmcguire
                  Participant

I completely agree with you John. All of the shots in that film except that shot was taken with my Blackmagic Pocket 4k on Blackmagic raw but for that one shot I used my drone which shot on DJI D-Log. I’m not a pro colourist so I just couldn’t for the life of me make it match. It really annoyed me in the end but there just wasn’t anything I could do about. At the end of the day I just had to call it and say it was good enough!

You’re right, it does look like a cheap LUT. 😉

Thank you.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.