The limits of only using practicals?

Posted on by

Home Forums Lighting The limits of only using practicals?

• Creator
    Topic
    Davinki
    Participant

Hello, I was looking for lighting critiques for this image I made awhile ago as I want to hone in on methods of lighting such as using controlled ambient lighting with practicals as I did in the image here with this only having top fluorescent tubes through a plastic screen, a lamp to the side, and festive lights in the background. The goal was to create something comforting but ominous and moody at the same time and I had much more grand plans but as per the contest I wanted to submit this in on time I had to go with whatever I could do so there’s that. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Stip
      Participant

I think it looks great and has the mood you were aiming for. In my opinion one can get fantastic, and maybe even more authentic, results for night interiors (or exteriors close to a house) with clever use of practicals and no film lights.

Matt Stahley
        Participant

looks  good for your intended look. I like all the small battery powered lights available these days in replace or set near practicals as they are controllable for color temps and output and no risk of flickering etc. so basically lighting with practical positioning but using better lights/ bulbs etc. if that makes sense.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.