Shot Design in prep

Posted on by

Home Forums Camera Shot Design in prep

• Creator
    Topic
    jeff791107
    Participant

Hi Roger,

I am curious about your approach to framing shots and shortlisting in your works with Directors.

Now I am in the prep of a feature. I felt like it would take a huge amount of time on the storyboard of every frame and shot. However, it looks like we don’t have enough time for that.

How exactly does your working process look like? Do you do storyboarding with directors? Or is it more like the directors work in advance and then you come in to discuss the blocking and refine your shot? Do you only plan shots for some important scenes? Does the production hire storyboard artists?

I would like to hear your advice. Thank you.

Viewing 2 replies - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Stip
      Participant

“but a problem can arise when an actor comes in the next day with a different idea.”

Sooo, what happens if the idea is bad? How often does it happen that you have to change things for the worse because of an actor’s leverage?

Roger Deakins
        Keymaster

Who is to say that an idea is better or worse? My ideas might be as bad as anyone else’s! A different idea may cause some change in the plan for the day but that all comes with the territory. It would be stultifying if we worked as if we were robots.

Viewing 2 replies - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.