Semi-transparent curtain in front of greenscreen

Posted on by

Home Forums Post & The DI Semi-transparent curtain in front of greenscreen

• Creator
    Topic
    George
    Participant

Dear Roger and appreciated forum members,

I will be shooting a feature film in a few weeks where a small scene will be done in the studio in which a window can be seen. In front of the window there is supposed to be a semi-transparent curtain, I’m not quite sure what they are called in English, maybe stores? I’m attaching photos of the kind of curtain I mean. Originally the plan was to have a backdrop with a house facade in front of the window. As there will only be 1-2 static shots and a backdrop is not cheap, I was asked by the production designer if it could also be done with a greenscreen and VFX. In principle, that wouldn’t be a problem, but as this curtain would be in front of the greenscreen, I’m not so sure. I don´t want the curtains to be completely blown or just white, because the background is kind of important for the story. Does anyone here have any experience with this? Does a curtain like this make the VFX work very complicated or is it no longer a problem to achieve good results here?

Many thanks for your help!

All the best,
      George

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Mike
      Participant

you can hire backdrops quite cheaply or you can print out backdrops yourself in sections and pasting them on a board, you will see the joins. Net curtains are also cheap assume you want the curtains to be split in the middle to reveal a background. You can also project a backdrop using a digital projector so not sure why this scene difficult to achieve. There’s are many ways you can go, it is very cheap to achieve .

Mike
        Participant

Should read will not see the joins. You scan use a TV for backdrops depends on the size of the window of course but you have not said what you are trying to achieve

Stip
          Participant

I’d say replacing the green with the BG image without affecting the transparent curtain itself will be difficult. If you have someone in post who is 100% confident that it can be done it might be worth a try, otherwise it might end up costing more to fix it in post.

George
            Participant

Thank you for your replies!

Renting a backdrop is not an option as it is set in a very specific time and place. I´ve never tried projecting the background in front of the window. Did you achieve good results with that?

Mike
              Participant

I worked for BBC Drama that’s studio and location work. It was common practice to project an image behind windows etc, otherwise a backdrop was either made or hired to suit the stage. Nowadays large printers can produce any backdrop, provide a plate or photo and they will print out for you, any size no problem. Try making your own backdrop and experiment with your lighting person to light to taste.

Mike
                Participant

Claypaki lit stage.

dmullenasc
                  Participant

If a drop costs money, what about the hours of a VFX person working on compositing an image into the window?  At the minimum, you could blur the view further with some 1/4 Hampshire Frost behind the window (or a stretched scrim) and then put anything outside that might create some texture, a Day Blue Muslin with some green bushes, a Tan Muslin with some black & white tape stripes to suggest window frames and pipes running up a brick wall, etc.

Mike
                    Participant

If you are on a tight budget then I suggest you borrow a relatives house perhaps one with view and base your production there obviously at an agreed fee. Btw, there are hundreds of backdrops available from China from $15.00 upwards, hundreds of subjects to choose from. Example attached

Mike
                      Participant

Large paper backdrops.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.