Rigging tube lights to concrete wall

Posted on by

Home Forums Lighting Rigging tube lights to concrete wall

Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic
    bradvir
    Participant

Apologies if this question is too specific or off-topic but I’m looking for some advice on rigging lights and thought maybe someone here might have some insights!

We’re shooting a scene of a band playing a show in a garage and I’m looking to rig a few astera titan tubes to a concrete wall to act as practicals. We’re a small team without access to a lot of resources so I’m trying to keep it simple here.

It doesn’t need to be super clean, the look is fairly DIY, so I’m wondering if it could be something as simple as just using white gaff tape that will blend in with the white walls, but I’m worried about it losing adhesion or needing too much tape to stay put. Maybe there are some kind of adhesive hooks I could attach to the wall and attach to the titan tube’s eyelets? Curious if anyone has any experience with something like this or any ideas!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dmullenasc
      Participant

Astera tubes are a bit heavy but perhaps a long strip of velcro on the wall and the backside of the tube? Remember you’ll need to pull them down to recharge or replace.

bradvir
        Participant

Appreciate your response Mr. Mullen! I think velcro definitely would be a good option.

For anyone wondering, these hooks  (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PFW8WRQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) worked incredibly well with the Astera eyebolts and were hardly noticeable with the lights out of focus in the background. The nice thing about rigging from the eyebolts was that I could easily rotate the lights to aim them as needed.

Andrew C
          Participant

Nice! I gripped on a short film where we had to rig Quasar tubes to a chain link fence, and we used zip ties. A bit different than rigging to a concrete wall obviously, but I thought I would just throw the tip out there.

TimoVanLierop
            Participant

I have the Androokie Magnet Kit for my Astera’s.

It comes with some metal plates, which you can stick to the wall and then mount the tubes to the metal plates.

sharkbait93
              Participant

If you can’t drill the wall I’d get some white gaff, tape down behind the tube taping 2 pieces of steel under the tape. Then grab a couple of ‘1/4″ Neodymium Rubber Coated Pot Magnet’ (search ebay for that, should bring them up) and put those onto the tube to magnetically attach to those bits of steel under the tape.

Even then you have to be careful, any tape or velcro can fill you with confidence until it doesn’t! If you can ever drill the set for situations like this it’s always best.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.