Poorman process for night bus interior

Posted on by

Home Forums Lighting Poorman process for night bus interior

• Creator
    Topic
    rama lingam
    Participant

Dear master Roger how to do poorman process for night bus interiors. buse are 12 metres long, up from 10.5 metres. The scene about two people’s talking each other about past life and nativity. People’s sitting on some seats also. It’s semi urban place.generally where to start night bus interiors. How to create the passing light motion effect.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Roger Deakins
      Keymaster

It is tricky with a bus as it is so large. I have shot ‘poor man’s’ but only created a few lights in the distance nothing interactive with the interior. I did this for a short scene in ‘Empire’. Any exterior light would be minimal relative to the bus’ interior lights anyway.

rama lingam
        Participant

I didn’t know where to start lighting. Can I use large soft box like 20×20 on overhead. Is it good starting point

Roger Deakins
          Keymaster

If you really need interactive, rather than the interior lights of the bus, I would use LEDs and create some sort of chase.

rama lingam
            Participant

What kind of LEDs generally you preferred in this case. What is personal thoughts about skypanel and astera tubes for buses night interior lighting.

dmullenasc
              Participant

You have to start with what you want it to look like before you figure out what lights are needed. What effect are you creating outside the windows? Passing streetlamps? Passing lights from buildings? Moonlight? All of them? What light is on inside the bus? What colors do you want? What makes sense for the scene logically? Dramatically? Are you matching sources established in exterior shots? You have to have all those answers before you start talking about Skypanels versus Astera tubes.

I’d also say that if the backgrounds are going to be black, you don’t want to overdo a lot of passing lights from multiple places that can’t be seen, unless you dirty up the windows a lot with rain drops & dust, etc. so that the light washes out the black background. Otherwise if the interactive light gets too busy like the bus is in the city, you’d expect to see a view.  So if this is more of a lonely country road or suburban street, there would probably be just passing overhead streetlamps, so given that there isn’t a lot of light outside the bus, it suggests that there are some interior lights on unless you are aiming for a very moody, shadowy scene, which is possible. It all goes back to painting a picture in your head as to how it looks before you can then figure out how to light it.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.