Once upon a time in the west multiple coverages

Posted on by

Home Forums Camera Once upon a time in the west multiple coverages

• Creator
    Topic
    rama lingam
    Participant

Dear master Roger when is essential to run a number of cameras to cover a scene. Some scenes, as well as once upon time in the west works ‘best’ in long held ‘master’ shots. Did Sergio Leone use multiple coverages.Some films works better for multiple cuts. Some films works for both. Couple of years ago you said you could give you many examples of ‘films’ constructed with any amount of long grandiose shots that, viewed as a whole, are totally ridiculous. Could you name it some films.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Roger Deakins
      Keymaster

I am not quite sure what you are referring to. I could suggest a number of films with grandiose shots that serve no purpose other than as ‘eye candy’, but they should be obvious and I am not going to get specific here.

Leone would use both long held wide shots or a rapid series of cuts, depending on the scene and the emotion he was trying to create. I don’t know if he used ‘multiple coverages’, if by that you mean multiple cameras, but I suspect he was pretty sure what he needed before he rolled a camera.

rama lingam
        Participant

Master Roger you once you said mentioned larger than life camera movement. I could say Once upon a time movie is larger than life cinema. Would you agree?

Roger Deakins
          Keymaster

Yes, its ‘operatic’ and the camera seems in sync with the score. I think Leone had the score before he began shooting.

rama lingam
            Participant

Master Roger i observed Sergio Leone employed elaborate camera moves for some scenes only. Not entire movie. Could you suggest some of your favourite character larger than life movies.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.