Oil lamps on 1917

Posted on by

Home Forums Lighting Oil lamps on 1917

• Creator
    Topic
    Ruairiob
    Participant

Good afternoon from chilly Bucharest,
      I’m about to shoot a show which will rely a lot on candles and oil lamps. I heard that on 1917 you used prop oil lamps with two bulbs, the brighter one being hidden behind the dimmer one.

I wonder if you could give a little more detail. Did you put something in between them?  so that the effect wasn’t cumulative? Were you using tungsten or LED bulbs?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Roger Deakins
      Keymaster

I usually use 150 or 250 watt bulbs to rig an oil lamp in this way but for ‘1917’ I used 500 watt bulbs of the same kind as are used in conventional Tungsten Fresnel lamps. These were all I could find in the UK, although I have a great range of quartz bulbs in my garage in the US.

Once or twice I have used a small strip of blackwrap between the twin bulbs, to hide the one that was away from camera and brighter, but I don’t remember it being necessary to do this on ‘1917’.

Ruairiob
        Participant

Thanks Roger,
          Just so you know, the last time you answered a question for me I had been asked to shoot a fifteen page battle with horses and chariots and five hundred extras- all at dusk, in three days.

I was able to say to the producers ‘You guys have heard of Roger Deakins, right? He says it can’t be done’.

You got me right out of jail.

Thanks again.

Stip
          Participant

Haha, good story!

Roger Deakins
            Keymaster

I guess I am not in your producers good books, though!

So what did you do? Tell all.

Ruairiob
              Participant

I shot some DFN tests and said we can do dusk if we can can control every shot. Shoot the wides at magic hour and the close ups under silks etc…

I also said that if we could guarantee cloudy weather we might be able to make it work- but we were shooting in South Africa so there wasn’t a snowball’s chance in Cape Town that that would work.

In the the end, they put the red pen through the word dusk and made it day.

I would have loved to have shot it as written but given the scale and complexity of it – people fighting on chariots etc… it just wasn’t realistic.

But I can’t thank you enough for your message. It made me look like less of a failure.

I guess so much of the job is managing expectations.

Ruairiob
                Participant

Oh and the show sank without a trace, I think there were only about three people still watching by the time we came to that battle!

Roger Deakins
                  Keymaster

I’m sorry the show was not a success. So it goes!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.