Lighting Approach for Daytime Interior in a High Rise

Posted on by

Home Forums Lighting Lighting Approach for Daytime Interior in a High Rise

• Creator
    Topic
    ericwann
    Participant

Hello Roger,

I am tasked with shooting several days in this high-rise office interior. I will need to see out the windows, and due to its height do all of my lighting from the interior. Do you have advice on an approach for balancing the interior to the exterior and attempting to keep consistent lighting over a dozen days? Or, if you’ve been in a similar lighting situation how did you handle it?

Thanks for all your amazing feedback in these forums!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Roger Deakins
      Keymaster

Your location photo looks good. Nice large windows. When you are shooting somewhere like that its a matter of scheduling your shots so that you don’t suddenly get a shaft of sunlight in the middle of an. otherwise soft scene. The overheads could help, if you want to soften the look but I might just leave them off and use small daylight balanced lamps if really necessary.

LucaM
        Participant

In such a scenario how would you deal with heavily changing weather conditions (in the case in which waiting for the right moment is not an available option). Let’s say, he has a clear sky the first day, a cloudy sky the second day and an heavy rain the third day?

ericwann
          Participant

Your location photo looks good. Nice large windows. When you are shooting somewhere like that its a matter of scheduling your shots so that you don’t suddenly get a shaft of sunlight in the middle of an. otherwise soft scene. The overheads could help, if you want to soften the look but I might just leave them off and use small daylight balanced lamps if really necessary.

Thanks for the reply Roger, I appreciate the time you take to respond to everyone here! Wishing the best for Team Deakins in 2024

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.