Inconsistencies of film development

Posted on by

Home Forums Camera Inconsistencies of film development

• Creator
    Topic
    gcconnelly
    Participant

Hi Roger!

Hope you are doing well. I recently listened to your podcast episode with Matthew Libatique and was very interested by your discussions about exposure and how inconsistent film developing is these days. Matthew told a story about visiting a developing lab and seeing that they were basing the film bath speed on the film before his film. You guys both used the term “running hot” and “hot develop.” I was wondering if you could elaborate on what this means.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Roger Deakins
      Keymaster

That is simply when a lab warms up the developer to a temperature that is above the optimum. This makes the process faster and labs would favor this if they had a large quantity of footage that needed development in a fixed time frame. When you ‘hot develop’ a negative, which I have often done with B&W stills film, there will be an increase in grain. There was a lab that would often change the temperature of their developer from day to day, which was quite noticeable on the dailies they produced.

gcconnelly
        Participant

Would that result in an increase in exposure and contrast like a push process? Or is this something different entirely?

Roger Deakins
          Keymaster

The process is run faster to allow for the warmer developer so the ‘exposure’, or more precisely the density, of the negative isn’t affected. What this faster processing does lead to is an slight increase in grain and, perhaps, contrast.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.