If Filmmakers Could Compose Images Like Kurosawa Did?

Posted on by

Home Forums Composition If Filmmakers Could Compose Images Like Kurosawa Did?

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    fremes
    Participant

Sir Deakins,

I am reaching out to you because I have developed a practical demonstration of how the filmmakers Kurosawa, Fellini and Antonioni, composed the greatest shots in cinema history, and wish to share this information. By re-introducing these lost concepts, there is opportunity to create significant uplift to the quality of movies, and audience engagement.

Problem:

I have encountered a roadblock that the ASC, DGA, and SOCO, will not consider evaluating (at no-cost) a potential member workshop, from a non-member. I do not work in the film industry.

Fortunately, I had the opportunity to present this online interactive workshop to two ASC members who kindly shared with me that this information provided them with a new:

– Way to see and create
      – Precise, articulable image composition language they can use to more effectively collaborate with other members of a production

Solution:

If you looked at this programming through a 10 minute Zoom demonstration and possibly said, ‘motion-picture professionals would benefit from seeing this’, it could help others feel comfortable about evaluating the program. Your endorsement could open the doorway for the industry to benefit from a new way to boost the quality of their product (without additional time or money), thereby, increasing viewership. I do not seek your financial assistance.

If you are open to this, please let me know a date/time that would be convenient for you and I will share out a Zoom meeting invite for that time.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Paul Fremes

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Roger Deakins
      Keymaster

While it may be an interesting idea to study the composition of those three great directors it could only be a very limited and personal ‘practical demonstration’ of what constitutes the greatest shots. I will not start a list of what I would consider the ‘greatest shots’ as it would take me far too much time but Sergio Leone? Tarkovsky? Zvyagintsev? …. And in 10 minutes! I wish it were that easy!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.