How to get this kind of look on digital?

Posted on by

Home Forums Lighting How to get this kind of look on digital?

• Creator
    Topic
    jack0429
    Participant

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1MW411A7QY/

This is a 2005 music video shot for the japanese band Tokyo Jihen, seems like they shot it with film but overexposed it right to the edge of clip to give the talents a very pastel look. Because as you can see when they exposure ramped down to normal the skin looks very nice and saturated. I was wondering how you guys would approach lighting to recreate a look like this, of course the set design plays a big part as well. But I’m also wondering how to create these kind of look in the coloring suite with digital, since I can’t bruteforce exposure and force it to clip like film does, since the roll off on digital is quite a bit harsher. Also if anybody worked with film back then and knows anything about the telecines or colorgrading suite they would use for these kind of projects I would love to know!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      halfgrain
      Participant

I have to say, this clip looks pretty digital to me. What I mean is, it seems to me the overexposure and blooming effect could have been done digitally, no matter if it was shot on film, couldn’t it?

My guess is that if you shoot a high-key scene like this without blowing out any highlights, it should be relatively easy to tweak it in post to get the desired look.

Stip
        Participant

It looks like all the talents’ skin and hair were brightened with makeup/powder. So set design, costume and make-up combined make for this “chalk-ish” look in the bright scenes.

Roger Deakins
          Keymaster

That looks like a digital image captured using a relatively low res camera and overexposed.

jack0429
            Participant

Thank you for the reply, But within the music video you can see that the it exposure ramps and the film starts and stops again, I don’t think that was possible with digibeta or HDCAM back then. It seems to me that it’s a DI that was exported for web viewing in 2005 which usually was standard def and highly compressed.

Roger Deakins
              Keymaster

That makes sense.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.