- This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 4 months ago by .
Hello everyone, and thanks to Roger and James and the team for this great opportunity for aspiring cinematographers here.
I have a question for you all.
Next summer, I will get to shoot my first full length feature film with a budget of 1.5mil€. It’s here in Germany. For me, having shot 2 music videos, 2 documentaries and 1 short feature film before and being 23 years old, this is huge and it feels like a dream coming true. But at the same time, I am incredibly nervous. And there is a lot of first times on this:
– first time on a big set with a department I have to lead
– first time with a big budget (for me it’s big)
– first time full length feature
– first time with a full size cinema camera
Now my question:
What tips do you have for a first time as DoP on a big set?
And, imagining being in my place, how would you use the next 6 months to prepare? What would you read, what would you do?
I never went to film school and everything I do is self taught (e.g. through the great great resources Roger provides here and in Rogers and James’ podcast). I know I can do this, I think I have a pretty good impression on how I wanna light and shoot. But the imagination of putting it into practice on a big set is a bit daunting!
So thank you all a lot, hope you having a great day,
(P.S. probably this will not be my last topic here with questions I have during my very own prep the next months)
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.