Exposure with changing Light

Posted on by

Home Forums Camera Exposure with changing Light

• Creator
    Topic
    BlacksheepPictures
    Participant

For Months i am trying to figure this out. How do i set the Exposure for the following Scenearios?

1. Actor walking around with only a Flashlight as Light Source. Do i have to point the Flashlight against a wall and expose for the highlight?

2. Actor sitting on a couch lit by TV and Practicals but there is Thunder/Flashes coming trough the Window hitting his Face.

Thanks in Advance

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      TimoVanLierop
      Participant

I think it heavily depends on your location. Here is an example of a scene from my rental commercial. We made some exposure with some tubes on the ceiling. And the beam who is pretty strong reflects also some light. Haze also adds some exposure, because you have a 3D softbox kind of thing.

Don’t be affraid that the background is pretty dark.

If your scene is outdoors or next to a window you can add a little blueish backlight which motivates the moon. So the actor is visable.

This screenshot doesn’t have a flashlight. But I think if you light it like this and than add the flashlight it will work!

TimoVanLierop
        Participant

This is a TV scene I did. Sadly we didn’t had any visable windows. And it also wasn’t thundering.

If you have a window you can push a hard source with Thunder FX trough the window.

If you use Aputure’s Sidus Link you can use multiple sources trough different windows to make it feel more real. The app is pretty good in triggering the effects at the same time.

Oh and I think you get more helpfull comments if you post it in the Lighting forum in stead of Camera forum 🙂

quijotesco24
          Participant

Exposure is an artistic value, so it’s open to many interpretations and there is no wrong or right.
            In the scenarios you explain you could expose for a base exposure and let the flashes, thunders or flashlights completely overexposed. You could exposed for those and let the base exposure very under, so you only see characters when they get hit by light. You could split the difference and be at midway. You could overexpose characters like crazy if you want too, which brings me to that Trent Parke famous photo of an old man dressing white and very overexpose.
            It’s up to you to choose how to expose and your guideline should be the script or story you want to tell.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.