Empire of Light @ Rio de Janeiro

Posted on by

Home Forums Film Talk Empire of Light @ Rio de Janeiro

• Creator
    Topic
    bscofano88
    Participant

Hello Team Deakins,

Rio de Janeiro International Film Festival just announced “Empire of Light” as its opening film.

Even though the session will most likely be for guests only, I was wondering if you guys would be in town for promotion, interviews… Hoping so!

Best Regards.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Roger Deakins
      Keymaster

Rio! That would be nice but sadly no!

bscofano88
        Participant

Hello Mr. Deakins,

Following up on this topic just to tell you I was able to attend the premiere and had a wonderful time. Loved every second of it and can’t wait for the “Looking at Lighting” topics in the future.

Just a “fun fact”: It was re-opening of Rio’s biggest and most traditional cinema – the Odeon – which was still close since the pandemic started. It feels just right for the first movie shown to be a love letter to cinemas like “Empire of Light”.

Best Regards, Sir. Hope Team Deakins come visit Rio someday 🙂

Roger Deakins
          Keymaster

I would love to visit Rio again. My first experience of the city was during the 1977/78 Whitbread Round the World yacht race. We made it to Rio on the first day of carnival having sailed from New Zealand via Cape Horn.

Mike
            Participant

And I bet you had wobbly sea legs too, that navy rum is quite strong!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.