Empire of Light – Practical Bare Bulb

Posted on by

Home Forums Lighting Empire of Light – Practical Bare Bulb

• Creator
    Topic
    Ilambb_
    Participant

Hi Roger,

Yesterday I watched Empire of Light and I absolutely loved your work. I would describe it as harmonious and subtle.

I wanted to ask you about this specific shot. How did you manage to put a bare bulb in the middle of the frame without flaring the lens? And also, what type of bulb is it? The double bulb technique you used in 1917 wouldn’t be possible here, so that’s why I’m interested in your approach this time.

Thank you,

Inaki Lambrechts

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dmitriy.Nedria
      Participant

Hi, Inaki

I’m not a sir Roger. But from my experience, I could say another bulb is hidden behind that table lamp to reduce contrast. You can use different techniques to minimize the flair: from masking tape to dulling spray and black spray paint. Bare bulb and frosted bulb also works differently.

M Ryan
        Participant

Master Prime lenses help too 🙂

Stefan Vrachev
          Participant

I believe these were the Signature Primes since this is Alexa LF – but still they are close to the Master Primes in terms of dealing with flares and artifacts

M Ryan
            Participant

Yes of course! Thanks Stefan 🙂 👍

Ilambb_
              Participant

Thank you so much for the responses Stefan and Ryan!

I’m going to try those techniques in my next project.

Roger Deakins
                Keymaster

There was just the one bulb and no other light. There was a serious flare but I placed a small square of white tape in the middle of the bulb facing camera and that dealt with the flare. The source was so hot that the tape pretty much disappeared and I took out the rest in the DI.

Stip
                  Participant

“There was a serious flare but I placed a small square of white tape in the middle of the bulb facing camera and that dealt with the flare.”

Love it!

M Ryan
                    Participant

♥♥

JasonK
                      Participant

This is such a good example of masterful cinematography. Less is more … way more often than less is less… a small fix to make the perfect light.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.