Empire of light Hilary and Donald Ellis conversation

Posted on by

Home Forums Camera Empire of light Hilary and Donald Ellis conversation

• Creator
    Topic
    rama lingam
    Participant

Empire of light Hilary and Donald Ellis conversationDear master Roger i saw ‘Empire of light. I want to ask about the scene where Hilary and Donald Ellis make affair then they have drink and conversations. why did you and Sam gives that much of spatial distance for both characters as well as not intimacy much. Here by have attached reference frames.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      rama lingam
      Participant

dmullenasc
        Participant

I would say because it’s not a scene about intimacy, it’s about an imbalance of power — he’s in a single chair, she’s alone on a love seat.

Roger Deakins
          Keymaster

They had just been very close! Now, Ellis is feeling confident and satisfied while Hillary is a little confused, probably a little angry and also sad.

Zamir
            Participant

Would you, please explain the lighting here.
              Are the lamps augmented with any ofher source? Also, are you using leds in the practicals here?

Thank you!

Roger Deakins
              Keymaster

The practicals have regular tungsten bulbs. There is additional lighting here. I was creating cove bounce sources to the edge of frame for both camera angles. I was using LED Fillex lamps with the Fresnel lens attached for my light source. Usually i would have used more traditional tungsten lamps in this situation but, for cost reasons, I was carrying few lamps in my floor package.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.