Empire of Light – camera work

Posted on by

Home Forums Composition Empire of Light – camera work

• Creator
    Topic
    simon m
    Participant

Hello Roger,

Just saw Empire of Light last night. Loved it. I really enjoyed your use of lockoff shots, especially in the opening sequences. It really removes the camera in a way, and the scene becomes pure observation. The starkness accentuates her isolation in those opening scenes. I really feel the lockoff shot is overlooked for the power it can convey.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Roger Deakins
      Keymaster

Yes, I agree. Far too often the camera moves in a film with little regard for story.

hughscully
        Participant

I loved Empire of Light. Olivia Colman’s performance is amazing. I find that the stillness of the camera in this piece creates a lot of emotional tension and suspense, right from the opening montage. I also notice how much more important each cut is. The momentum and rhythm come from the cut instead of camera movement. It seems a more generous conveyance. I hope for more movies like this.

Roger Deakins
          Keymaster

You might want to watch the films of Robert Bresson or Luchino Visconti! There are plenty of films with a similarly controlled camera style but less in contemporary mainstream cinema.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.