Education on the more expensive things.

Posted on by

Home Forums Set Talk Education on the more expensive things.

• Creator
    Topic
    Gustavo Perez
    Participant

How did you go about learning things like Green Screen, or camera platforms like cranes and multi axis stabilizers? Did you go for demos or was it a cross that bridge when we get there situation?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dmullenasc
      Participant

When I was coming up, often my 1st AC, my Key Grip, and my Gaffer were more experienced than I was so I could talk to them about specialized equipment like remote heads, telescoping cranes, etc.  I also went to trade shows, read trade magazines, visited rental houses, read the specs on websites, owners manuals, etc.

Gustavo Perez
        Participant

I hadn’t yet thought of that for some reason (reading user manuals). I’ve done that with cameras but in my [not so] infinite wisdom didn’t think to read the manuals for other systems.

Stip
          Participant

Whenever I can, I prepare – you can find overviews and tutorials just about everything on the internet. That at least eases my mind.

Then, when testing or on set, I usually find that those things turn out to be much less of a mystery than I had feared (there’s also almost always someone who is already familiar and can help).

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.