Posted on by

Home Forums Lighting Desert Chase at Dawn scene in No Country for Old Men

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    gabbysp
    Participant

Hi Roger,

I am doing some research on Day for Light filming for class, and I was wondering if you could tell me about the filming process for the Desert Chase at Dawn scene in No Country for Old Men? Was this filmed during the day?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MNMike
      Participant

There’s a whole description and breakdown on your question in the looking at light section- NCFOM. It’s pretty thorough and should answer all you questions for the scene. Cheers.

dmullenasc
        Participant

I typed a long reply and by the time I hit “submit” the website software didn’t accept it I guess! It disappeared!

dmullenasc
          Participant

I tried again — I give up! I guess it doesn’t like me putting images into the text.

dmullenasc
            Participant

Test.

dmullenasc
              Participant

OK, one image works… 

dmullenasc
                Participant

OK, so three images didn’t work, I guess two is the limit.

Anyway, for the third time… I don’t think that chase scene in NCFOM is an example of day for night, it’s a night for night scene that goes into twilight for breaking dawn. The frames I just posted above are from “Yellow Sky” (1948), which has a lot of day for night shot on b&w infrared film by Joseph MacDonald. One artifact is that Gregory Peck’s black shirt goes grey due to IR pollution from the dyes in the fabric.

bardanmcguire
                  Participant

Hi David! I’m just wondering do you just have vast libraries of screenshots from movies that you like?

It just seems like that to me from the screenshots you share from films on this forum and your brilliant posts on Instagram!

I’ve actually been going through a lot of movies over the past few years and either screenshotting specific scenes I want to analyse or just every shot in the entire movie and then just going through the whole thing to best understand each shots relation to one another and of course composition, lighting etc. Shot deck just isn’t specific enough for me. I find it very helpful for developing my own ideas.

Roger Deakins
                    Keymaster

The dawn chase was filmed at dawn and dusk depending on the individual set up.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.