Derek Parfit

Posted on by

Home Forums Still Photography Derek Parfit

• Creator
    Topic
    Benjamin
    Participant

Roger, wondering if you have explored much of the philosopher, Derek Parfit’s photography, and if you might be an admirer of his work? He tended to travel to the same cities again and again, photographing the same buildings for years. Quite an investment of time for what was essentially a “hobby”.

Also, just curious if anyone happens to know what stills camera Parfit shot with (or have any other thoughts on his photography).

(Here’s a link to some of his work: https://express.adobe.com/page/Tz8IkRg1fCA8Y/)

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Mike
      Participant

Not a great photographer imo but he certainly took a lot of photos, he spent most of his time manipulating them in his photoshop. I know he used Nikon F’s and a Linhof 5×4 on many of his early works perhaps he switched to digital later. Interesting photos all the same but if you shoot thousands of fools of film, you will eventually find a good one! 🧐

Mike
        Participant

Not a great photographer imo but he certainly took a lot of photos, he spent most of his time manipulating them in his photoshop. I know he used Nikon F’s and a Linhof 5×4 on many of his early works perhaps he switched to digital later. Interesting photos all the same but if you shoot thousands of fools of film, you will eventually find a good one! 🧐

Benjamin
          Participant

Can you go into a little more detail about your critique of his photography? Do you find his work generic?

Mike
            Participant

Running short of time so cannot dwell on this subject but it is down to personal taste really, I do like his photos but cannot understand why he has to manipulate his photos, it is not just tweaking them, he distorts them to his liking, he is never happy with the results, I have been to Venice and St Petersburg and you cannot fail to take a good photograph, why he changes the whole meaning is a mystery!  Van Gogh made thousands of paintings and only sold one is also a mystery, he was never satisfied with his work either. Interesting though.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.