Creating natural light on set

Posted on by

Home Forums Lighting Creating natural light on set

• Creator
    Topic
    ThompsonDP
    Participant

Dear Mr Deakins,

I hope you are well. I have a university project coming up where we are using a ceiling-less vector set with a couple of windows. I was wondering how you would approach lighting it so it looked natural and not like it was shot on a set. There are TVs we can put in the windows but I’m not so keen on that and was considering just covering them. What would you do here?

Many thanks,

Michael

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ThompsonDP
      Participant

^^^
        If anybody else has any tips for this it would be much appreciated!

dmullenasc
        Participant

What’s a vector set? Is this a day scene? Do you have a grid above the set? How big are the windows? What do you want it to look like in terms of mood?

ThompsonDP
          Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I can’t remember how you spell it but it’s like a cardboard set with no ceiling to it but it’s in a gallery so there’s a sort of grid yes. Not sure of exact dimensions for windows. Was put a bit more at ease today with creating a natural look from a workshop but now the challenge is gonna be hiding those lights. Also it’s easy for us to make it look like there’s natural light on a close up but for wides I’m not very confident so any advice on that would be great. I think we just want a natural look but also want to implement greens and blues to create the mood.</p>
            The biggest concern for us now is making it look like the whole set is naturally lit so it doesn’t look like it’s shot on a stage because most of the last years’ projects looked like that.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.