Creating dark shadows on subject

Posted on by

Home Forums Lighting Creating dark shadows on subject

• Creator
    Topic
    Joshua Clark
    Participant

Hi Sir Roger,

When wanting to create high contrast ratios specifically on a subject’s face, what is your method for doing so? Do you lower exposure in camera (ND, ISO, etc.) to a darkness in the shadows that you like and then light the surrounding space to your liking? I often struggle with this when shooting in larger spaces because it requires a lot of light sources for the surrounding environment to not feel so dark (I’m a student and usually don’t have a lot of lights to work with on projects).

Here’s an example of a shot you did this in. Their shadows are really dark and yet the surrounding environment feels well lit. Would love to hear you accomplished this look!

I hope this makes sense. Thank you for reading! You’re so kind to respond to this forum so frequently.

Joshua Janosch

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Roger Deakins
      Keymaster

That’s really a matter of focussing your light where you want it! That can be helped by  using solids off frame and draping the walls behind camera with black cloth but you light what you want to see.

The shot could have been made just using natural light through the kitchen window and blocking that which was coming from a screen door to the left of frame. But, although this was shot on location it was dark outside at the time.

Max A.
        Participant

Hello Mr. Deakins, I hope you and Mrs. James are well. If I can ask a question in this topic opened by Joshua, can I ask you how you achieved the light on the faces of the talents?

On ‘Frank’ there seems to be a bounce right frame, if so, the bounce did catch only the light coming from the glass on the door or did you put a lamp to bounce from inside?

For ‘April’, the light that reaches her face, was it coming from outside the glass of the door? If it is so, did you put direct lamps through diffusions or did you bounce also outside?

As always, Thank you for your availability and your patience.
          I wish you a peaceful day.
          Max.

Roger Deakins
          Keymaster

Yes, there was a bounce top right. I suspect that had a lamp on it but this was a long time ago! The light hitting April was from the window left of frame and I would have had bounces outside. The window may have carried a light diffusion as well.

Max A.
            Participant

Thank you so much for your reply Mr. Deakins! It’s always fantastic to read from you.

Max.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.