Cove light considerations

Posted on by

Home Forums Lighting Cove light considerations

• Creator
    Topic
    Davinki
    Participant

Hello, I want to know your thoughts process for what lights you consider for say, a cove light. Like, does the quality of light from the source like from a par or fresnel matter in this? Do you have a system for determining quantity of light fixtures for a setup? Am I overthinking it? Let me know

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Roger Deakins
      Keymaster

I don’t think you are overthinking it but only you can say for sure! The lamp you use is preferably one that has a even spread rather than a hot spot and an uneven surround . I would use a Fresnel when in close and required some control of the beam size and intensity but an open face light when I was after something more substantial from further away. Personally, I do not like using a par as a bounce light.

rama lingam
        Participant

Master Roger what’s the disadvantages of par light bounce?

Roger Deakins
          Keymaster

They are quite uneven in their beam shape and a single unit is not as efficient as a 650 Red Head or a 2K Blonde. If you use multiple par bulbs in a 6 or 9 light you will struggle for control. Now, a Maxi into a 12′ x 12′ can work but that is when you are working at a larger scale. I have bounced a Dino and a Wendy light on a large set.

Davinki
            Participant

Okay then, is there any situation where a par light would be the best option? Reason I ask is the light I’m considering owning has the best output with a par reflector by a long shot but is there a way to make the uneven beam usable so I don’t feel like I have to switch out for the fresnel and compromising on output?

Roger Deakins
              Keymaster

You should just experiment with the par light as you seem comfortable with it.  We all have different ways of working so it is not for me, or anyone else, to say what is ‘best’. I have used par lamps to bounce and as a direct source, whether through diffusion or simply raw so its not that I am against the lamp I just have my own preferences in certain situations.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.