Cooke 7i VS Arri SP

Posted on by

Home Forums Camera Cooke 7i VS Arri SP

• Creator
    Topic
    Limbo
    Participant

Hi Mr. Deakins,

I find that you used both Cooke 7i and Arri SP in your new film, Empire of Light.

Could you tell us why you chose to use two different sets of lenses? I’m also curious about how you feel about them.

Thanks!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Roger Deakins
      Keymaster

I think you have that wrong. I shot ‘Empire’ on the Arri Signature prime lenses.

Ryan Jackson
        Participant

Hi Roger, I too, was wondering this as I was reading through the ASC article about Empire of Light and there is this picture where you are what seems to be framing up a shot but with a Cooke S7 32mm on the camera.

Was this for another purpose if you didn’t actually shoot with the Cooke?

Thanks!

roger framing shot with posters in the background

Roger Deakins
          Keymaster

I love the lenses but we did not carry Cooke S7s on ‘Empire’. I don’t remember having need of a spare lens, which can happen if one of a set falls out of collimation and there is no direct replacement. I also checked my equipment list to make sure there was only the one set of Signature Primes there and that’s all there was!

dmullenasc
            Participant

Certainly looks like a Cooke S7

Mike
              Participant

Nice to see a ‘Ronford Baker’ on set.  They would love a copy of this.

BBC have now replaced theirs with ‘Miller’.  

Roger Deakins
                Keymaster

You are so right! I think it was that we had to have a Signature re-collomated so we carried the S7 as a stop gap measure. Just goes to show ….

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.