BR2049 – Green tint outside

Posted on by

Home Forums Lighting BR2049 – Green tint outside

• Creator
    Topic
    Max A.
    Participant

Hello Mr. Deakins and all the cinematographers over this fantastic forum.
      First of all, I hope you Mr. Deakins, and Mrs. James are doing well.

I would like to ask you, if it is possible, a question about the slightly green shift/tint in the highlights of BR2049.
      Recently, a YouTube channel (that is also a website with tools and resources for filmmaking) “Studio Binder”, made a post with some BTS of BR2049 pairing with the “final screen scene”, In three of them (I attach screenshots below) my curiosity goes for the slightly green tint that the final image has compared with the BTS footage (I love the final “organic” tint that the scenes have that gives a “dirty” mood in my opinion to the “world” where the story take place).
      Since the action area of the examples is outside with cloudy and natural light, I suppose that the final “look” and color rendition is a result of your choice in the DI or, in any case, a result of the look nuances baked in the LUT for the movie.

So I would like to ask you, why you preferred that color shift and what was your thoughts behind the color manipulation.

Finally, my consideration which is worth little or nothing, is that the organic feel that the final image has is outstanding. The dynamic range, the colors, the beauty and the tonality in the highlights ( I can continue for a long.. LOL 😂)

As always I want to thank you for your availability and for your time Mr. Deakins and apologize for my bad English.
      You and your forum changed my life, really.

I wish you a peaceful day,
      Max.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Roger Deakins
      Keymaster

Is one green or is the other magenta. I am sure that neither is a true reflection of what is on the DCP. The exteriors were deliberately shot on overcast days to look dreary and they surely tend toward the blue/green but I am sure the YouTube version is a little off.

Mike
        Participant

Roger,

Where was this location?

I am trying to visualise the working conditions to film these scenes, how difficult was this shoot assuming you chose the cold conditions to maximise the bleak effect.

Not sure what the poly tunnels were used for.  Fascinating imo.

Max A.
          Participant

Thank you very much for your reply Mr. Deakins.

So for sure at this point, it’s a slight shift due to the YouTube “compression” that boosts a bit the green tonality in the highlight more than the “normal”.

As you said, it is one green or the other one magenta? 😁 it’s a fine line.

Thank you again for your reply and your kindness as usual.

I wish you a peaceful day,
            Max.

Roger Deakins
            Keymaster

The scene was shot on the Origo stage backlot in Budapest.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.