Being positive when the going gets tough.

Posted on by

Home Forums Set Talk Being positive when the going gets tough.

• Creator
    Topic
    Gustavo Perez
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I know that as a junior member of any team I’m on, I’m universally expected to keep the spirits high (a job I take pride in doing). However, at the moment, I’m on a union feature in LA, and they’re not paying me, yet we do a minimum of 16-hour days, and tonight I go into overnights. I’m finding it damn near impossible to be positive because I’m more upset at myself for taking this job. I’ll add that personal/at-home problems are also at play here, but I don’t want that to get in the way of my work.

</p>
      Any advice ?
      <p style=”text-align: left;”></p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”></p>

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Gregg
      Participant

Tough position to be in….  If you have committed yourself then I suggest you do what you’ve promised and do the best job you can.  Do your very best.  Stay positive, keep your head down, don’t complain and make the best of a bad situation.  And as James once commented, don’t think that any position on set is beneath you.

Use this as a learning experience.  In future, don’t commit to unpaid work unless their are other benefits for you in terms of experience gained.

You also need to consider alternative employment and means of earning cash between jobs so that you can be more discerning when deciding what jobs to take in the future.

Just my 2 cents..

Gregg

dmullenasc
        Participant

I know it’s hard but if you’re a beginner in the industry, you want to me known as the person who maintains a positive attitude even when things get tough, not the person who is only pleasant when the hours are pleasant. However, if you’re not being paid and the job is terrible, then I don’t think anyone would object if you left for a better job that paid.

Stip
          Participant

There are instances where it’s justified to walk away if you’re working for free but it’s impossible to give advice from a distance.

Your safest bet is to give the best you can right n0w – simply because that way you will feel much better once it’s all over. But very hard to give advise without knowing the exact circumstances.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.