Posted on by

Home Forums Film Talk All quiet on the western front

• Creator
    Topic
    sanghamithran
    Participant

Hi master Roger ,

hope you are doing good,

Have you seen all quiet on the western front (2022),if so can you share your take on the film,

thanks.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      James
      Keymaster

Hi! We have seen ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT and in fact, we’ve talked with the director and DP of the movie for the podcast episode that will publish on February 1st.

Stip
        Participant

Good to know.

As a German, I have a difficult relationship with my country’s film industry (decade long nepotism of public film funds and a lack of identity outside WW2 and Stasi/GDR themes are parts of the problem).

“All Quite On The Western Front” is one of the better films but I can’t help but remain critical. I didn’t like the changes in story compared to the original, as they added nothing and didn’t work for me. And the cinematography was inspired a little too much by others for my taste (a typical treat of German productions that try to do “Hollywood”); some night/fire/silhouette scenes were basically copied from “1917” in my opinion.

I may react too harsh though given my personal stance.

Roger Deakins
          Keymaster

Your opinion is as relevant as any other. As I said to the director, I would like to see a film that deals with the ‘between the  wars’ period, after Versailles. War itself can be ‘entertaining’ on film (‘Top Gun’ and the rest) but is less interesting than the sociological reasons that lead up to it and the consequences that follow when the fighting stops.

Stip
            Participant

Oh, I agree! I think the consequences you refer to are why George F. Kennan called WW1 “the great seminal catastrophe of this century”. I recently started refreshing my limited school knowledge about that complex, incredibly smoldering time from  Versaille to WW2 and there’s so much substance and stories for films to be found.

Quadra
              Participant

Hi Stip, you should check out Margaret MacMillan’s two books on the subject: “Paris 1919: Six Months That Changed the World” and “The War That Ended Peace: The Road to 1914.” I’m sure bookworm Roger has already read them.

I liked the new “Western Front” adaptation, but I preferred the eerie atmosphere of the 1930 version. What did you think of “Stalingrad (1993)”?

Stip
                Participant

Thanks for the book tips Quadra, very interested in the first one!

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen ‘Stalingrad’ but I remember that I liked it.

To me the best German production until today is ‘Das Boot’ (1981) – of course another WW2 film, but genuine in it’s approach and realization, as they shot it in an actual submarine. (Recently an epsisodic remake was done and it lacked any and all of what made Das Boot so good)

sanghamithran
                  Participant

Amazing master Roger, waiting for the podcast.

I liked this film so much that it very much captures the anti war spirit, makes one understands what comes of stupid ego and arrogance enters the human mind.

And lot of great learning from this film

Roger Deakins
                    Keymaster

I just re read Vassily Grossman’s books ‘Stalingrad’ and ‘Life and Fate’. Anyone with a few hours to spare should…… More understanding of ‘life’ than any film.

sanghamithran
                      Participant

Gonna find the book and read,Anything you recommend is top priority on to do list Master Roger,

Thank you 🙏🏻

Mike
                        Participant

May I suggest reading ‘Wild Swans’ by Jung Chang 1991.  Would like to see this on the big screen but probably too sensitive for the present political climate. Would love to see Roger photograph this one, contains every element he could ever wish for.

Roger Deakins
                          Keymaster

If we are going to recommend books of any description here I will put forward ‘Nights of Plague’ from the Turkish author Oran Pamuk. This is quite a relevant read given what the world has been (and is still) going through.

rama lingam
                            Participant

Master Roger can we say “all quiet on the Western front ” movie is larger than life.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.