A story More than one character perspective

Posted on by

Home Forums Camera A story More than one character perspective

• Creator
    Topic
    rama lingam
    Participant

Dear master Roger how do you choose lens choice a story is more than one character perspective. And why do you shoot wide lenses a story is only one character perspective. Could you remember your favorite multiple characters perspective movies.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Roger Deakins
      Keymaster

You could say ‘Sicario’ used two perspectives. I’m not sure why one character would see any differently than another but the movement of the camera and the lighting might differ.

As to using a wide lens in a story with only one character. Is that true? Some directors like to use wide lenses, as do some cinematographers but for a character point of view? I can’t see that.

rama lingam
        Participant

Yeah first half is Emily perspective and another benicio perspective. It’s long time ago I watched. Did you use same focal lengths for benicio perspective also. Certainly ‘the man who wasn’t there ‘  and ‘laura’ comes to my mind when we talks about one character perspective. Do you remember what focal length did you use for TMWNT’. What about camera movements if they story have two perspective. I mean how do you differentiate in camera moves.

Recently I saw ‘Laura’ movie. I like the way the camera moves. What’s your opinion about it?

rama lingam
          Participant

You talked one character perspective on lens choice podcast episode. You said If the story is one character perspective then we have to use wide lenses. If I understood wrong please tell the right one.

Roger Deakins
            Keymaster

I don’t remember saying that. I like using wide’ish lenses when I want to be close to a character and if the story is primarily from one character’s point of view, but by wide I am not generally talking about anything as wide as used in ‘Touch of Evil’, for example. Which was a great use of wide lenses BTW.

rama lingam
              Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>What about The man who wasn’t there. It’s one character perspective right? Did you use same focal lengths for Emily and benicio characters</p>

Roger Deakins
                Keymaster

I did use the same range of lenses for both Benicio’s character and Emily’s, yes.  Ialso used similar length lenses for ‘TMWWT’, if a little wider.

rama lingam
                  Participant

Thank you Roger. I have watched ‘Laura’ couple of weeks ago. Laura lensing seems wide lenses. But I don’t know what focal length they used. I like the way the camera moves very reasonable. What’s your opinion about that film.

Roger Deakins
                    Keymaster

Its a long time ago since I watched ‘Laura’ so I can’t really comment.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.