90s/00s Aesthetic

Posted on by

Home Forums Film Talk 90s/00s Aesthetic

• Creator
    Topic
    MichaelBachinger
    Participant

Hello Roger and everybody else!

I have been wondering for quite some time about a certain late 90s early 2000s aesthetic, which i cannot really put my finger on. Maybe you can help me understand.

In movies like American Beauty (1999), Scream (1996) or Donnie Darko (2001) there is this weird feeling to the image that i cannot describe. Maybe some kind of processing in post i don´t know about. Anyways i am not fond of the mood this creates. Don´t get me wrong, the three movies i listed are among my favorites of all time (especially American Beauty), but this feeling still lingers in the back of my head. After compiling some screengrabs it seems that i don´t appreciate desaturated, blue-ish imagery but that cannot be it. I have watched loads of movies with scenes looking just like my description, but without this feeling.

Below are screengrabs of Donnie Darko, Scream and American Beauty.

Donnie Darko

Scream

American Beauty

I wasn´t sure where to post this, i hope here is fine. If this has been talked about before, i am sorry. I couldn´t find a thread on this topic in the forum.

Thank you for your time! It is a blessing to have you answer our questions.

Michael Bachinger

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.