Recovering the Old Forums (need help?)

Posted on by

Home Forums Website News Recovering the Old Forums (need help?)

• Creator
    Topic
    Magneticat
    Participant

Hello Roger and staff,

happy new year to all of you.

I wanted to ask if there are news about recovering the information in the old forums.

I also wanted to offer my help in case it were needed – I recovered dozens of forums and websites that seemed irreparably lost, and would be willing to help with this if needed, at no costs for the community. Can point to my LinkedIn page if needed.

The information posted in these forums over the past 10 years is just invaluable – for those interested in cinematography, for those making movies, and for those who just love cinema.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Magneticat
      Participant

Sent you an e-mail James. Thank you 😉

James
        Keymaster

I haven’t seen anything. When did you send it?

Magneticat
          Participant

Hello – yesterday, development @ magneticat.com is the e-mail.

Frank
            Participant
              Frank
              Participant

Additionally, this is the most recent web capture for the pre-September 2013 version of the forum, before it was hacked and many posts got deleted https://web.archive.org/web/20130804072010/http://www.deakinsonline.com/forum2/

Mike
                Participant

James,

Could you explain why my last post was deleted?

It was in response to Rogers previous answer which was also deleted.  Perhaps this question will also be squashed too.

rama lingam
                  Participant

Hi James you are too busy in making podcast and byways. I would like to ask you did magneticat try to help old recover forum. If he do it will be very useful for everyone.

Mike
                    Participant

Vanniyan,

Well done Sir, you may get an answer but probably not.

Btw, over the years, you were the most consistent member of the forum, you have been extremely loyal as with many other members who sadly have now disappeared.

Thank God we live in a democratic world where we enjoy freedom of speech.

Frank
                      Participant

The repeated disrespect for working professionals offering their knowledge for free during their own leisure time is immensely disappointing to me. I can’t think of something that would be less incentivizing to getting what you want than expressing ingratitude and entitlement. Furthermore, you are on a private website that the Deakins’ pay for themselves and which they can administrate however they wish.

If you want to read old posts the links I gave previously in this thread will allow you to access many of them. I see now that the 2015 web capture has many broken webpages, so here is the most recent version I could find that seems to be in working order https://web.archive.org/web/20150813085239/http://www.deakinsonline.com/forum2/index.php

rama lingam
                        Participant

Me Frank i am not disrespectful to anybody. This is not disrespect. Don’t exaggerated anything. My lot’s of important posts  after 2019 years. Still most of the 2015 forums don’t work properly. You are alo one of the participants. please don’t act like web admin yourself. If they feel i am disrespectful i will ask heartfelt apologies to James and Roger. I have great respect for both of them.

rama lingam
                          Participant

Mr. Frank bear in mind english is not my mother tongue. May be my language would be not grammatical. But I never disrespect to Roger and James. I learnt lot. I posted more than 300 questions in this forum. I don’t recollect all questions. It’s all important to me. Not important you. I don’t know where I could find those answers again. So only i requesting continuously regarding old forum recovery related questions. Thanks for misunderstood me. Roger and James please take my apology if i disappointed you. Thanks for your great sharing knowledge.

Max A.
                            Participant

If I can write something, I understand what Vaniyann says in terms of a giant source of pieces of information.
                              As an assiduous frequenter of the forum (I check at least 2 times a day if there are new posts for 4 years, I would like to create many for the numerous questions and for the thirst for interest and admiration I have towards Mr. Deakins but I limit myself) I am still shaken by the idea that all those years of interesting questions and just as many interesting answers have vanished.

However, I understand that it is a delicate and complicated matter and that Mr. Deakins and Ms. James are obviously very busy given their prestige (due to their talent and dedication to work and disseminating information to us all) so we can only hope.
                              I “know” Vaniyann as a user, since I have often read posts by him on this forum and he often specified that some messages from him could be misunderstood since English is not his native language (like me after all). He is not a disrespectful user, he always thanked and always addressed Mr. Deakins as a teacher.

We all love what Mr. Deakins and Mrs. James have done, are doing, and will do and we will never dream of being disrespectful to a figure who is almost a god to us.

We just have to hope for the recovery of the whole forum or otherwise enjoy what has been through the years and maybe generate new potentially interesting content on this fantastic platform.

I wish you a peaceful day everyone.
                              Max.

Kemalettin
                              Participant

Dont worry Vanniyan i and i assume others understand you very well.In the end we all want to access old forum.Hope someone can help them and retrieve the old forum.

Mike
                                Participant

Vanniyan has always been a valued member of the forum, he has probably asked more questions than anyone else, his English is now very good. He has bags of enthusiasm and always want to learn new ways of  film making. He has never been disrespectful and always wants to please others.

I would employ him as film crew any day.

Frank
                                  Participant

In my original post I intentionally avoided singling out any individual person so as not to be invidious. Needless to say I was referring to multiple forum users who have posted in this topic. I’m not sure how me saying “You are on a private website that the Deakins’ can administrate however they wish” could refer to any posts Vanniyan made, and in fact it’s in direct reply to bizarre statements made by others like “Thank God we live in a democratic world where we enjoy freedom of speech.”

I particularly resent the accusation that I’m somehow being insensitive toward somebody because they don’t have native fluency in English. Bad manners like being presumptuous (“You are too busy making the podcast and ‘Byways'”) or badgering someone for something, repeatedly asking the same questions and making the same requests when you don’t receive a reply as soon as you would like, are not a matter of a language barrier.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.