Raw: grading & VFX (2 replies)
When shooting raw, how is the workflow with VFX & grading? Is the vfx done on top of the graded footage, or the other way around, or is it done another way?
1. display transform your raw footage (apply look or don't apply look but export it as a LUT)
2. linearise footage and export in float container
3. send to compositor
4. compositor marries CG elements to your footage and exports back in linear without or with minimal application of any color transforms to the original plate. The idea is to get the CG elements to match the live action scene values, not the other way around.
5. send to colourist
6. apply colour correction/grade
7. set output display space and render
As Wouter says, the VFX vendor works with the RAW material but we also send a quicktime with the LUT and timing applied so they know the look that Roger was going for. This helps them make sure that the work they are doing will seamlessly fit into the DI once the LUT and timing are put back on. What you don't want to do, is have the LUT baked into their work. You have a lot less latitude to work with when that happens.