Back to Team Deakins Podcast Topic Suggestions...
Visual Storytelling - Guidance & Practical tips (No replies)
Dear James and Roger Deakins
Thank you for your fantastic series and the recent Zoom on 1917. I am grateful that you share your knowledge.
I would be interested in an episode revolving around guidance and practical tips for visual storytelling:
- How do you translate a script into a visual?
- What is the role of storyboards & reference pictures?
- Do you have a framework/playbook concerning visual storytelling?
- Is there a visual storytelling 101 that you constantly refer to? E.g. similar to the recipes in the book 'Framed Ink»' from Mateu-Mestre
- What reading/practice would you recommend concerning visual storytelling?
- What do you see other cinematographer lacking in this area?
- How do you capture a certain atmosphere/emotion?
- Do you change a script (in consultation with the director) so that the story can be told more visually?
- What form of visual storytelling inspires you or do you enjoy outside of cinema?
I ask that because my girlfriend keeps saying that although my pictures look pretty, they do not tell a story. Thank you!
Raphael Wild (raphaelwild.com), Visual storytelling: short films, mini documentaries and aerial cinematography